Saturday 15 April 2017

Love blossoms even in the dark

I was in my 7th and last year at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, the year was 1982 the war was over and everyone was trying to put their lives back together as best as they could. So many had lost loved ones over the years that no family was untouched by loss.
The years I spent at Hogwarts had a been under a cloud of fear and suspicion. You never knew who might be an enemy or who might be killed in the night. Some people dealt with this by forming relationships quickly without much time getting to know one another. Which made sense as you didn't know how long you may have to ask out that guy or girl you had a crush on.
However I was in the other party, the ones that kept themselves apart from others, tried to keep their hearts safe from pain by allowing no one in. It was a lonely path but with people disappearing daily it made sense to try and save myself the heartache of losing more people. Having  lost my father and sister to the death eaters and he who must not be named early on in the war.
Over the past 7 years at school I had made few friends, mostly just acquaintances. But there was one girl a Hufflepuff called Jessie that I had always had an extra minute for, a smile even on those terrible dark days. We shared a few classes together and would often be in the same group. She like me while polite to fellow students was reserved and quiet. And I could see she often felt out of place with her fellow puffs as most of them banded together and formed close bonds to get through the dark times. Jessie kept her distance and was often alone studying in the library or sometimes in the great hall when it was almost empty. Sometimes I would sit next to her get out my books and say nothing. We would just sit there in the quiet comfortable silence knowing neither of us desired more.
But the war was over, the chosen one Harry Potter had brought he who must not be named's regime to a sudden halt. Most of the death eaters had been rounded up of disappeared into hiding.
I didn't want to be alone anymore I didn't want to be safe.
Jessie and I spent more time together as our final year drew to a close, lingering in the grounds neglecting our studies. Both of us wanting to say something but neither of us having the courage.
One day about a week before we were due to leave Hogwarts,  Jessie snuck up in to the Ravenclaw common room, it was lunchtime so pretty much everyone was in the great hall. I was reading a book when I heard the door open Jessie quickly slipped inside.
"Jessie? What are you doing here? How did you get in?"
"Your door doesn't have a password remember, I just answered the question"
She had a point, it really didn't seem like the safest security measure now I thought about it.
She came over and sat next to me on the sofa, and pulled out a small vial of pink liquid. She looked scared and nervous, but also expectant and excited.
I picked up the vial and looked at the contents, I knew what it was.  Amortentia, the strongest love potion available. And I knew the question she wanted to ask but couldn't, and why she had come with this little vial of pink to me alone in the ravenclaw tower.
She too knew my answer but being who we were neither of us could say or do anything. So there sitting on this table was this little pink vial that held all we felt and all we wanted to say to each other that was just out of reach.
I went to the cupboard got out two small glasses picked up the vial and headed up to the dormitory. Jessie following close behind.
We sat on the bed together and I poured out a small sips worth into each cup. We looked at each other then drank.
The effect was immediate, it no longer mattered that I was so closed off to love, it no longer mattered that we were in different houses, that her parents might not approve that we may be teased. Because I was sitting across from the most beautiful girl in the world and I was telling her that I loved her. And she was holding me and saying she loved me too and that she couldn't live without me. I told her I couldn't live without her. We indulged in our passion our lust our love and the obsession that comes with Amortentia.
As we had only had a small sip each the effects wore of within the hour. I felt the obsession the madness of love leave my thoughts, and gingerly lifted my head to look at Jessie. How was she feeling? Were those words of love and passion still there even after the drug had worn off.

We looked into each other's eyes nervous, unsure of each other feeling but unafraid now of our own. I smiled at Jessie and she smiled back, sighing a huge sigh of relief I leaned over and embraced her. The potion was gone but the feelings remained. Jessie and I would leave Hogwarts not alone and afraid as we had entered it but together and hopeful for a life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment